6 replies to this topic

#1 Feathers

Feathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2024 - 11:09 PM

Hi guys,

I've been on Cymbalta since February 2022. Started with 30mg and then was increased to 60mg end of March 2022. I have been on 60mg since. Doctors have been trying to get me to increase to 90mg, but I have resisted and I am now glad I've stuck with 60mg.

I will now begin my taper to wean off Cymbalta completely. I believe the generic brand I've been getting has been Breckenridge consistently, which is great. Hopefully my current pain doctor will support my decision to do microbead counting instead of dropping straight to 30mg. 

#2 Feathers

Feathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2024 - 11:14 PM

That said, I do have some questions that I hope someone can clarify for me...

Capsules to buy: I'm seeing several contradictions in the forums and guides on Cymbalta taper. Some say to use Enteric capsules and others say NOT to? What should I buy? Would https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B0CDPZLWJX/ work?

I will also be starting Lyrica (Pregabalin) 25mg at about the same time. What should I be looking out for in terms of potential complications from both weaning off and starting new meds?

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,928 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 August 2024 - 06:13 AM

Welcome Feathers

The capsules you linked to are regular gelatin capsules and not enteric coated. Research has shown that Cymbalta once exposed to stomach acid can change into naphthol which is very hard on the stomach. Now the patent says that each individual bead is enteric coated so that should protect against exposure to stomach acid BUT, just my personal opinion, I would take and use an enteric/acid resistant capsule just for an added layer of protection.

Pregabalin is a painkiller but also has anxiety fighting characteristics. The downside is that it also has a nasty withdrawal. Not as bad as Cymbalta but bad enough.

I would alsor recommend that you consider browsing through our FREE ebook. It contains detailed information on diet, supplements members have tried, medical research and much more. Below is a link to the ebook.

keepandshare.com/doc23/112225/summary-of-cymbalta-withdrawal-information-v1-3-pdf-4-8-meg?dn=y&dnad=y

If you have trouble with the link or any further questions please do not hesitate to let us know.

#4 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,257 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 29 August 2024 - 03:34 PM

Hi Feathers,

Welcome to the site - Hat has covered a lot of what you asked in the best detail, and I share his concern regarding the enteric-coated capsules.

Only thing to add is that Pregabalin is known to exacerbate depression during withdrawal, so if you suffer any such issues, it is imperative that the withdrawal is VERY slow. 

Bead counting is certainly the favourable route to go and my doctor wasn't even aware of bead counting. Some doctors are open to this method, other will state that the capsules should not be "messed around with". There is absolutely no harm in bead counting when aided by someone such as Hat or myself - and we are always happy to help.

IUN

#5 Feathers

Feathers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 02:44 PM

Thank you, Hat and IUN. 

I guess there isn't any harm in being extra safe. Does this one work then?
https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B0D1W4BYQR

I will keep watch of my depression levels. Thankfully I am aware of my reactions to depression and how it may manifest. The Cymbalta was meant to reduce my chronic pain but has not been helping enough, which is why we're wanting to try Lyrica.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,928 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 August 2024 - 06:07 AM

That looks good to me. Keep us posted on how you do.

#7 invalidusername

invalidusername

Site Admin

• Site Supporter
  • 6,257 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 03 September 2024 - 06:26 PM

Hey Wagtail - just seen you online looking at this topic - how wonderful to see you again!!

Hope you are doing well....

Love and prayers,

IUN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users